Health Information Technology: Associate in Science
Students completing the Health Information Technology (HIT) Associate in Science (AS) will have the skills and knowledge necessary to become medical coders and reimbursement clerks, and privacy, security or electronic health record (EHR) technicians in clinics, hospitals, and other healthcare organizations.
Program Learning Outcomes
Upon completion of the program, students will be able to do the following:
- Perform basic coding tasks and maintain accurate reimbursement systems including the preparation of patient access, registration, and patient accounting statements.
- Access, analyze, and interpret data to solve basic health information coding, patient accounting, and supervisory problems.
- Interact with customers, vendors, and co-workers to effectively support the work with high customer satisfaction.
- Organize, prioritize, and perform work tasks to meet deadlines and schedules.
- Apply health information, records management, and patient financial/patient accounting laws; and code basic cases with industry reimbursement procedures by patient insurance type.
Associate in Science (AS) Info at a Glance
Program: Health Information Technology
Associate in Science (AS)
In order to obtain a Health Information Technology (HIT) Associate in Science (AS), students must pass all required courses with a grade of C or better.
The Program is designed to meet the (1) employment needs of the health care organizations and (2) needs of students who wish to participate in a training program that will lead to an Associate in Science (AS) in Health Information Technology (HIT) with the opportunity to obtain entry-level positions and advance to higher levels in medical facilities.