Preparation Cook: Certificate of Competence
Requires one or two semesters to complete. The objective of the Certificate program is to give students basic skills in a specific entry-level job.
Program Learning Outcomes
Upon completion of the program, students will be able to do the following:
- Demonstrate professionalism in dress, grooming, attitude, and workplace behavior that reflects standards expected of culinary and hospitality employees.
- Demonstrate basic principles of sanitation and safety in food service operation for safe food handling and to protect the health of the consumer.
- Apply mathematical functions related to food service operations.
- Use knives, tools, and equipment, following established safety and sanitation practices and principles of food preparation to prepare a variety of food items, recipes, and/or products.
- Demonstrate a variety of culinary cooking methods and techniques, following established procedures to produce classical cuisines.
- Examine a variety of sustainable practices in the culinary industry as a means for controlling costs and for being good environmental stewards.
Certificate of Competence (CO) Info at a Glance
Program: Culinary Arts
Certificate of Competence (CO)
Total credits for certificate:
In order to obtain a Culinary certificate or degree, all Culinary classes must pass with a C or better.
The certificate will provide students with basic entry-level skills for a job in the food service industry or a foundation for future courses as they work towards their degree.