Culinary Arts: Certificate of Achievement
Requires two semesters to complete. Students acquire a solid foundation in cooking principles and develop fundamental food preparation skills. The goal of this program is to develop an employee able to work in a variety of entry-level job stations in a commercial kitchen.
Program Learning Outcomes
Upon completion of the program, students will be able to do the following:
- Demonstrate professionalism in dress, grooming, attitude, and workplace behavior that reflect standards expected of culinary and hospitality employees.
- Demonstrate basic principles of sanitation and safety in a food service operation for safe food handling and to protect the health of the consumer.
- Apply mathematical functions related to foodservice operations.
- Use knives, tools, and equipment, following established safety and sanitation practices and principles of food preparation to prepare a variety of food items, recipes, and/or products.
- Demonstrate a variety of culinary cooking methods and techniques, following established procedures to produce classical, regional and contemporary cuisines.
- Demonstrate fundamental principles, methods, and techniques of baking to prepare a variety of baked goods.
- Demonstrate professional hospitality and service standards to ensure quality guest service.
- Examine a variety of sustainable practices in the culinary industry as a means for controlling operating costs and for being good environmental stewards.
- Examine various management topics as related to foodservice operations.
Certificate of Achievement (CA) Info at a Glance
Program: Culinary Arts
Certificate of Achievement (CA)
Culinary Math (Options)
Total Credits: 3
QM 75 or MATH 100 or equivalent or higher
In order to obtain a Culinary certificate or degree, all Culinary classes must pass with a C or better.
This program is designed to provide the technical knowledge and skills training for students interested in a professional career in the culinary arts and hospitality fields and for current professionals looking for career enhancement and mobility. Program emphasis is on providing students with theoretical knowledge reinforced with hands-on skill practice.