Baking: Certificate of Competence
Requires one or two semesters to complete. The objective of the Certificate program is to give students basic skills in a specific entry-level job.
Program Learning Outcomes
Upon completion of the program, students will be able to do the following:
- Demonstrate professionalism in dress and grooming, attitude, and workplace behavior that reflects standards expected of food service industry professionals.
- Demonstrate basic principles of sanitation and safety in a food service operation for safe food handling and to protect the health of the consumer.
- Apply mathematical functions related to food service operations.
- Demonstrate fundamental principles, methods, and techniques of baking to prepare a variety of baked goods.
- Examine a variety of sustainable practices in the culinary industry as a means for controlling operating costs and for being good environmental stewards.
Certificate of Competence (CO) Info at a Glance
Program: Culinary Arts
Certificate of Competence (CO)
In order to obtain a Culinary certificate or degree, all Culinary classes must pass with a C or better.
Culinary Arts majors enroll in the program. Students completing the CO in Baking are able to apply for and secure, entry-level positions at bakeries, hotels, restaurants, private clubs, etc., where a certificate is a required or highly desirable qualification for employment.